Monday, December 3, 2018

Monday, December 3rd, 2018









Good day family and friends!

For some reason, I have terrible luck with my name tags. I don't know if you guys remember, but in the MTC, I somehow managed to flush my name tag down the toilet in the first week I was there. I bet I have been the only missionary ever to do that. A few months ago I got some gorilla glue on my name tag, so I used rubbing alcohol to try to get it off. I now know why they call it rubbing alcohol because it RUBBED the white letters right off of the tag. This week we were tracting and my shoulder bag caught on my name tag and threw it off, and I accidentally stepped on it and it bent. I think I am cursed or something. 

We helped a lady move this week. She is moving to the Salt Lake Valley to be a flight attendant for Delta Airlines. She lives in a very interesting house. The house looks just like the top of a roof. The roof goes all the way to the ground. It looks like a big triangle planted in the ground. Apparently, everything she owns is like, handmade and specially crafted, including her Turkish pots, and her coat rack from France, so we had to be very careful with everything. 

We met a lady this week from England while tracting, and she told us that her 16-year-old son died recently, so we shared with her the message of the plan of salvation and we set up a time to come back to teach her more. I hope that we can continue to teach her. 

We had dinner with a member family this week, and we set up the Christmas tree and put lights and ornaments on. They said they wanted us to be there to help because they know we miss setting up the tree with our families. It was very nice of them. You know how people sometimes have special ornaments, that are usually glass and fragile, that they have owned for years, and they put it on the tree last and it is a big deal or what not. This family has one of those ornaments, and they made the mistake of letting my companion put it on the tree. He dropped that sucker hard. It was a pretty dramatic experience, but the family is fine. My companion took the biggest mental blow out of it. Let's just say, I'm so glad it was not me that dropped it. Rest in peace little doggie ornament. 

There is a family in our ward that is working on being sealed together. Their grandparents are recently reactivated, and have not been sealed yet either. The problem is, there is no trace anywhere of the grandpa's record. There is no record of him ever being baptised into the church, so he will need to be baptised either for the first time, or again. We are not sure if he actually ever was a member, but he needs a record so he is being baptised on December 15th!  

They streamed the First Presidency Christmas devotional at our church building, so we went there to watch it. Turns out us and the other elders were the only ones that showed up to watch it. We could not figure out how to get it from the satellite to the projector, so we just gathered around the computer screen to watch it. 

I have been serving in the Suitland Stake now for over 6 months, and there are these books that were printed in 2004 titled, "A Brief History of the Suitland, Maryland Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.", Long title I know. BUT! This week I was given one of these books, and I have been reading it, and it is so cool. I am reading about so many stories that have been told to me by the members in the Calvert ward. The books are pretty rare too, so I'm glad I got one. 

Happy December everyone! Don't forget to light the world! 

Elder Dallin McKay Spurgeon 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, October 9th, 2019

National Harbor, Maryland