Monday, August 27, 2018

Monday, August 27th 2018










Hello Everybody. 

This week was transfers! I am staying in Calvert/Southern Maryland, and I am training a new missionary. He just got out to the field this week! He is from Lehi, Utah, and he graduated from Skyridge high school this year. It was funny, I have never really been a fan of driving, especially on the highway, just ask my parents.  It just so happens that transfers were 2 hours away, and most of the driving was on the capital beltway which is like one of the busiest road in the United States, and of course I had to drive home from transfers. I don't think I have ever prayed so hard. The whole previous week I knew it was coming, so I was praying all week long for confidence and calmness while driving. When the time came, and when I went on to the highway, I felt confidence and peace. I know that was Heavenly Father blessing me. 

There is an 8 year old boy in our ward named Jack. Months ago before I was in the area, my last companion made Jack a promise that he could go tracting with us one day. Jack calls it tracking. Well here comes the last day of the transfer and my last companion still has not fulfilled his promise, so we call Jack's parents and tell them to get Jack up and ready to go tracting with us for an hour around his neighborhood. The parents were a little skeptical but they agreed and Jack wanted to go. We get there and he is ready in his white shirt and tie, and we head off tracting. He wanted to knock on all of his friends doors and give them copies of the Book of Mormon, so that's what we did. He said, "It will be funny because my friends will see me and they will think I will be here to play... but we are not here to play". It was so funny. When his friends answered the door, he passed them the copies of the Book of Mormon and told them to read it with their family because it will help them to be happy. He passed out 3 copies of the Book of Mormon that morning. It was super fun! 

Our ward had a ward Temple trip this last week to the Philadelphia Temple, because the D.C Temple is closed for renovation. We were not able to go because it is outside of our mission, but two recent converts were able to go. Michael and Jordan. There are both priesthood holders now, and were both baptized for people and baptized people in the Temple. It was super LEGIT! The church is true! Both of them had a way good experience. Listening to the experience they both had was one of the best days in my life! If anyone in the ward knew or saw Michael 6 months ago, they would of never expected to see him in the Temple baptizing people. I am so happy! 

So you know how my companion is pretty new to the field. Like a couple days new. He does not act a couple days new. He is a super star! His first day in the field was on Wednesday, and we got a call on Friday and he was asked to speak in sacrament meeting about tithing. He said he would, and it was one of the best talks I have ever heard. His first Sunday out in the field, and he is already giving talks in sacrament meeting. I think every new missionary should do that. The ward already knows him now. Good Job Elder Mortensen! 

TIME FOR SOMETHING AWESOME! 🦈

So ever since I have arrived in Calvert, all the locals have told me that I can't leave without going shark tooth hunting. I told them I wanted to find a big one, but they tell me that it is very hard to find them, and it takes a trained eye and a lot of practice to find one, and years and years of searching if you want to find one bigger than a Penney. Well, me and my companion were tracting near the bay this week, and we decided to go down to the docks to take pictures, so we did. Elder Mortensen said he was going to gather some shells to send home to his nieces and nephews. While he was picking them up, I said jokingly, we could also look for sharks teeth too. I look down and sitting right next to my foot was something I was not expecting at all. A SHARKS TOOTH!, And I'm not talking the size of a penny, I'm talking a big sharks tooth. I was speechless. I triumphantly picked it up. Take that ya locals. Trained eye, years of searching and dedication my booty!!! (Sorry Mom, you don't have to include that last part). I guess I better relate it to the gospel now. 

I know that Heavenly Father is preparing people for us to teach the restored gospel to and we would not be able to find them ourselves. It is only through the divine help of our father in heaven. I know they have been prepared for a long time, just like how the sharks tooth had to be prepared for who knows how long to be sitting by my foot, for me to pick it up. 

Lets Gather Israel my friends!!!

Elder Dallin McKay Spurgeon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, October 9th, 2019

National Harbor, Maryland