One night while we were knocking doors, a family from Nigeria let us in. They had a lot of questions about our faith, so we went over the Articles of Faith with them. We pulled out The Book Of Mormon to give them a free copy and they seemed afraid of it. They said we have given them enough information for them to study and then make a decision. We asked the lady to say the closing prayer, and oh my, it was the most fascinating prayer I have ever sat through. While out here on my mission, I have learned that different people pray very differently. Some people don't know how to pray, and it is a cool experience to hear them pray for the very first time. Even though everyone prays differently, Heavenly father hears all of his children's prayers.
We run into a lot of people when knocking doors. Pizza delivery guys, Chinese delivery guys, UPS guys, the owners of the house, and Jehovas Witnesses. It is actually really cool to run into them, and it is fun to talk to them. You can connect with them. It's funny with food delivery people because you knock on a door and people don't answer, then the food delivery guy comes and knocks on the door, and your like, "Good luck," then they answer the door and you're like, "WHAT??"
On Sunday we walked into the chapel and saw the family that we invited to church. YESSS!!! I was so happy to see them there. I was glad they were able to make it to fast and testimony meeting, and hear the wonderful testimonies that were given. Sadly they were not able to make it to the last two hours but I was so excited to see them there for sacrament meeting.
I would like to share a scripture that has been I my mind lately.
Romans 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
We should not be ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ or being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Here is another scripture to help me explain myself.
Matthew 5: 14-16
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
I guess what I am trying to say is live what you know is true, and don't be afraid to share that truth with others who don't know. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christs holds the truth, and they can be found in the Book of Mormon. Love you all and keep your lights shinning.
GUESS WHAT! There is a lady in my ward named sister Willis, and I told her I lived in the Tri-Cities, and she said do you know Karen and Terri? And I said, BROTHER MILHAM???? Turns out they are related. What a small world.
It's funny. When I tell people my name is Elder Spurgeon, they are surprised I am an Elder in my church at such a young age. It's like "Yep, I'm pretty special."
We had our ward Christmas party, and it was themed A Night in Bethlehem. You had to dress up. Luckily I found a tie with camels on it in the apartment.
At dinner last night, Brother Palomo said welcome to dinner, tonight we will be having vegan ribs. He was kidding and started laughing. He said our faces were priceless.
We went over to dinner to a sisters house a few days ago and she shared her conversion story. It was so cool. She said she drove past the Temple and felt drawn to it. She went in the visitors center and got a Book Of Mormon and read the whole thing that night. She had missionaries come over and they gave her the Doctrine and Covenants, she read the whole thing that night. She begged to be baptized. It was a great story.
Love you,
Elder Spurgeon
No comments:
Post a Comment