Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday, December 11th, 2017

First transfer into the mission and I have already had life-changing experiences. I have really been thinking this week about how serving a mission will change my life, FOREVER. Let me use this scripture to help me explain myself. 

D&C 18

15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!

At the beginning of the week, we had a lesson and the guy we were teaching was obviously not ready for the message of the restoration of the gospel, and honestly, it made me kind of sad. Later in the day, we had an investigator come and play basketball with us and other ward members, and he had a good time, and that made my day better, but something that really brightened up my day was, I walked into the gym, and saw the baptism font. It calmed me down and reminded me of my purpose. The rest of the night was pretty awesome, even though I made a fool of myself at basketball.  

Every time it's personal study, I get so excited because I get to study the scriptures, especially the Book Of Mormon. It was something I always knew I needed to do and enjoyed doing sometimes, but now I love doing it. I also love Preach my Gospel. Missionaries are given so many great tools to help them fulfill their purpose.  

Something this week that made me really sad is my companion in the MTC went home. The only thing we can do is our best. Something that made me really happy this week was we taught a family the plan of salvation. There two young boys were just baptized, and the mom was baptized years ago, and now we are working on the dad. We brought up baptism a couple times, but have not committed him yet. We also had a member present, which really helped with the spirit that was unmistakably there. 

There is a man that we are teaching but his wife is not sitting in on the lessons. In fact, I have never seen her before, but she used to sit in on the lessons, and both husband and wife were on date for baptism. We saw her at the store the other day. It was nice to introduce myself to her, and hopefully, she will sit in with us again. 

A cool experience we had this week as we were sitting in stake conference my companion leaned over to me and said he had a feeling we had needed to tract a certain area that night. After he told me, I got the feeling too. We went to the area and tracked around for an hour, and on our way back to the car with little success, we saw a guy on the other side of the street. We went over and started talking to him. He was interested in our message and gave us his information so we could teach his young family. It was a great experience to have the prompting and follow it. 

This week there have been so many random times where I have felt super happy and excited about serving a mission and just about knowing of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and being a member of this church, and I know that's the holy ghost continually testifying of the truth of this gospel to me. Pray for prompting and then don't hesitate to follow them. I love learning about that from President Monson. 

This week I went to dinner with our ward Relief Society Presidency and we went around and talked about our family traditions around Christmas time, and when it got to me I said we watch Mr. Kruger's Christmas each year. In the MTC everyone said that serving a mission will bless your family back home, and I hope you are able to see that. See you guys on Christmas!

Love you all.
Elder Spurgeon 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, October 9th, 2019

National Harbor, Maryland