Monday, November 6, 2017

Monday, November 6th 2017


On Thursday evening I got a text and picture from a very kind person where Dallin and his companion were eating dinner.

"Had these great guys over for dinner tonight. They are working hard. Elder Spurgeon is going to be an awesome missionary."




Never have I had such a fantastic week full of excitement, strange stories, busy scheduals, and miracles. By now you might have seen the pictures that the Mission President has sent out, if not they are coming. I am excited to share with you all the wonderful experiences I have had this week. I saw Sister Haertling this week. The first thing that me and my companion, Elder Cropper, did was go to the hospital to visit a lady that was in the ward. She asked for a blessing. The lady is so kind and always expressing God's love for people. It was funny, as soon as I walked into the hospital room she looked straight at me with a confused and surprised look and said, "I know you". She is convinced she knows me from somewhere. We visit her once a week.

 We then went to meet Harold, who is a recent convert. Harold is one of the most dedicated men I have ever met. He does not have much family, so he considers missionaries his family. His calling is the missionary meal coordinator, he is very good and serious about his calling. The months are full of dinner appointments every month. He basically has a little store in his house. He has all ready given me a watch and a pillow. He always makes sure he has our favorite drinks ready for us whenever we come over. 

I love tracting, it's where the good stories come from. It is also hard sometimes to love the people when they reject you. But like my companion always says, "The Saviors Atonement wasn't easy, and Jesus Christ faced the most rejection and hate of all, but he still loved them and forgave them." So many miracles of the Lord preparing people to hear the gospel and things lining up perfect for us to meet with them.

Mosiah:4, 9
"Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend."

Moroni:7, 37
Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.

 I would like to share an experience I had on the first day, it was actually the first door I knocked on. We introduced ourselves and asked if we could share a message with him. He said, "Yes please come in, I am actually trying to get closer to God right now."

Wait, what just happened?

We went in and we figured out while talking to him that he just got in a recent car accident, and the police said he should not have survived it, and he was up and walking around. He then told us that the only way he could of survived was God's hand. He told us he was praying to God to send him someone to help him get closer to him. He expressed to us that we were the answer to his prayers. After our visit with him, my companion turned to me and said, "That does not happen very often, and it happened on the first door you knocked on." It was so wonderful to see how God prepares his children. 

The first day we got a flat tire while driving. Was it a miracle that I took a car maintenance class a week before I left on my mission?  Yes, yes it was!  We put the donut on and got it replaced. The whole week was awesome. One sad thing this week was an investigator who was on date for baptism dropped us and wants to stop meeting with us. Even though I had not met this person yet, I still was really sad. But we are not done with her, if you know what I mean. 

The ward is awesome, as you can tell by the full meal calender. Harold and I went up this week together to bear our testimonies. It is so cool, so many people in the ward are converts. Church went by really fast. The name of our ward is the Olney First Ward, which is our area. In the missionary life you are always praying, and prayers are answered. This week has been awesome and I am looking forward to the next two years. 

Elder Spurgeon.

P.S Our tablets are being replaced by smart phones, and the D.C Temple is extremely lovely. We only get to go two times a year. We also get to go to the mall, (where all the monuments are), two times a year.





FYI- Sister Haertling is Dallin's cousin who is also serving in the DC North Mission, at the Temple Visitor's Center.
 Also, the picture of Dallin at Five Guys Burgers says the potatoes are from Easterday Farms in Pasco. The Easterday family are our neighbors from Pasco, Washington. I can just imagine Dallin's surprise when he saw that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, October 9th, 2019

National Harbor, Maryland