Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday, November 20th 2017

This week has been the fastest week of my life. I am so excited to tell you all about what I have learned, and the experiences I have had this week. We put up a fence made out of wood crates for a lady in our ward. It actually turned out really nice. While we were doing it, My companion ripped his pants.
This week we went out bike tracting. We rode to an area where we wanted to knock and while riding to the areas, talked to people walking on the sidewalk or waiting at the bus stop. We met a guy in one of the townhouses we were knocking and he let us in because he said he could not turn away God's people. He spent an hour talking to us about his beliefs and says he feels like God has prepared him with his knowledge to meet with us. To my surprise, everything he talked about in the hour is stuff that we believe and is church doctrine. I am excited to meet with him again.

It is sad when people don't follow up with commitments you left with them. You really start to care about people, and you are sad for them when they don't read the Book of Mormon or pray or come to church. All you can do is to keep on encouraging them and promise blessings and bear testimony. 

I had my first Zone Conference this week and we had a general authority come, Elder Ringwood. Zone conference was awesome and it was great to hear from Elder Ringwood about our purpose as missionaries. This week I finished the Book Of Mormon. It was a great experience of how I felt the truthfulness of it. A couple of hours after I finished it, a man came up to us and tried to pursuade us to stop reading the Book Of Mormon because it is false. It was in that moment that I felt the truthfulness and reality of the Book Of Mormon. In the words of President Monson, "If you have not read the Book Of Mormon, READ IT!". I don't know about you, but I would follow his council. I would also invite you to watch President Monson's last conference talk he gave. 

Something else happened this week that was a first time for me. We got pulled over. It was kind of funny because my companion was driving and he was turning left at a green and cut off the cop. At the time we did not know what we were being pulled over for. Then the cop said, how about yielding next time. So that was fun. 
There is a recent convert in the ward, and we go over and teach him the recent convert lessons. He loves JUICE! He is from Haiti and he makes us this peach and pear juice every time we go over and it is heavenly.

There is a lot of fire trucks here. There was a apartment fire the other day at a apartment building where we were teaching. 

This week we went mountain biking with a recent convert. (Not the juice one.) It was really fun. I went off a jump and landed vertically on my front tire. Thankfully it did not fall off. We also had a huge deer chase us while biking. Me and my companion did not see it but the people stopped in front of us were laughing and told us a huge deer with big antlers was chasing us. 

This week while having dinner with a member, I got talking to him and it turns out he is a photo journalist. He showed me a lot of his pictures he took at sporting events for the NFL and the NBA. He also took photos of the presidential election. All of the photos in the Temple Visitor's Center are his. He was a cool guy. 

Every week I look forward to church. It is such a special thing to partake of the sacrament and to renew covenants with our Heavenly Father and to think of our Savior Jesus Christ. I encourage everyone to always make an effort to make it to church each week, and to help others make that same effort. It should not be something we dread, it should be something we look forward to. 

Maybe the most exciting thing that happened this week was, after we knocked on a door, a lady came out with a baseball bat screaming at us. She pretty much had us cornered. We were tracting in a very sketchy area, and people have to be careful. After she saw we meant no harm she went back in her apartment. We could hear the lady laughing afterwards. We were also laughing. 

I can't even begin to start to explain how much I enjoy being out here serving the Lord. I love my mission president and his wife. The members out here are amazing, Love you all!

Elder Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, October 9th, 2019

National Harbor, Maryland